By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected by way of selection as a 2012 extraordinary educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A spouse to ladies within the historic World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the learn of ladies within the historic world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to handle the learn of girls within the old world
- Explores a wide variety of themes in terms of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the family members, the country, and faith; costume and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions on the subject of ladies in antiquity
- Includes contributions from some of the such a lot in demand students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Best ancient & classical books
Apollonius was once a Greek grammarian and epic poet of Alexandria in Egypt and lived overdue within the third century and early within the second century BCE. whereas nonetheless younger he composed his extant epic poem of 4 books at the tale of the Argonauts. whilst this paintings didn't win attractiveness he went to Rhodes the place he not just did good as a rhetorician but in addition made successful of his epic in a revised shape, for which the Rhodians gave him the 'freedom' in their urban; for that reason his surname.
This publication, the 1st full-scale remedy of historic Umbria in any language, takes a balanced view of the region's historical past within the first millennium BC, concentrating on neighborhood activities and motivations up to the influence of out of doors impacts and Roman guidelines.
Universal one of the world's languages is the phenomenon of class, a in part or totally grammatical department of the noun lexicon into exact periods that finally derives from the human have to classify and filter out information on numerous degrees whereas speaking. during this booklet, Senft describes and develops a grammar of classificatory debris in Kilivila, an Austronesian language of the Trobriand Islanders in Papua New Guinea.
This quantity supplies us the 1st e-book of the letters of Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, eloquent and full of life facilitator of gentlemanly colloquy and preferment within the final 3 a long time of the fourth century. the 1st publication is of especial curiosity since it is arguably—indeed, the following argued to be—the just one of the 10 surviving books of correspondence that Symmachus himself ready for e-book.
- Odes of Pindar, Including the Principal Fragments (Loeb Classical Library, No 56)
- Dionysius of Halicarnassus: Roman Antiquities, Volume I, Books 1-2 (Loeb Classical Library No. 319)
- Verse with Prose from Petronius to Dante: The Art and Scope of the Mixed Form
- Antiochos III and the Cities of Western Asia Minor
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
A7763, A 7799, A 7997a. Statue H. 48 meters. Photo: G. Hellner, DAI Athens neg. 1970/886. 3 Cast of the portrait statue of Nikeso from Priene on its base. Statue H. 73 meters. Photo: Akademisches Kunstmuseum Bonn. 4 Statue of Flavia Vibia Sabina, from in front of the Arch of Caracalla, Thasos. Istanbul Archaeological Museum inv. 375. Statue H. 11 meters. Photo: W. Schiele, DAI Istanbul neg. 78/291. 1 Black-figured hydria of the Priam Painter, last quarter of the sixth century BCE. Boston, Museum of Fine Arts inv.
ILAlg Inscriptions latines d'Algérie, Paris 1922–. ILCV Inscriptiones Latinae Christianae Veteres, Berlin 1924–. ILLRP Degrassi, A. Inscriptiones Latinae Liberae rei publicae, Florence, 1957–1963. ILS Inscriptiones Latinae Selectae, ed. H. Dessau, Berlin 1892–1916. OGIS Dittenberger, W. ) 1960. Orientis Graeci inscriptiones selectae, I (Hildesheim, repr. of 1903 edition). RIT Alföldy, G. 1975. Die römischen Inschriften von Tarraco [Madrider Forschungen 10]. Berlin. Abbreviations for Collected Papyri P.
Snell A Companion to the Hellenistic World Edited by Andrew Erskine A Companion to Late Antiquity Edited by Philip Rousseau A Companion to Ancient History Edited by Andrew Erskine A Companion to Archaic Greece Edited by Kurt A. Raaflaub and Hans van Wees A Companion to Julius Caesar Edited by Miriam Griffin A Companion to Byzantium Edited by Liz James A Companion to Ancient Egypt Edited by Alan B. Lloyd A Companion to Ancient Macedonia Edited by Joseph Roisman and Ian Worthington A Companion to the Punic Wars Edited by Dexter Hoyos A Companion to Women in the Ancient World Edited by Sharon L.